At Cecil Pregnancy and Family Resource Center, fathers are welcome to attend our appointments with their partners. This includes parenting classes, which can be made by appointment and are instructed by one of our peer advocates.
An unexpected pregnancy can be frightening, and for men, it often invites a lot of uncertainty and worry. Men may wonder how they will be able to provide for a child. It is important that your partner knows you will be there to support her through this process.
Offering support is very important for a partner, but do not forget to take care of yourself, too! With your girlfriend’s permission, consider speaking with a trusted friend, family member, or professional about how you are feeling. Talking through your options and considering the positives and negatives of each will help you to gain clarity.
There are a few simple steps you can follow to help yourself and your partner through this time:
- Stay calm and collect your thoughts.
- Remember that you and your partner are a team, and you are in this together.
- Consider your options by speaking with a trusted professional or local pregnancy center.
- Stand by your partner and offer support during challenging moments.
- Give yourself the opportunity to think about the situation with a clear head.
Forming a strong network of support is also key to navigating any difficult situation. Consider the people in your life. Who is likely to stand by your side and offer guidance? Who might be slower to help? Receiving non-judgmental advice is one of the best ways to weigh your options and make an informed decision.
Unplanned pregnancies can be tough, but you and your partner are not alone!